Gosh! Can you believe it? It’s August and that means we’re nearly three quarters of the way through 2016. So how are you doing on those business goals?
When I was the head of HR, it was a strategic imperative to hire people with A- personalities. You know them. Always on. Nothing is ever good enough and they’re self-motivated to keep trying until they burn-out. Tell them no way and something in them kicked in and they hear no way as a challenge to be overcome.
“Challenge!!!!!”Or “Oh you just haven’t found the way” and off they’d go in search of an answer.
How do I know them? I used to be one of them.
Now I look for what is an A+ job and that’s good enough for me.
My secrets… know what’s on your plate and stop juggling 5 or 6 plates at a time. Too often I was trying to be perfect in every area of my life and keeping each area separate. Each had its own plate with goals, assignments and a definition of what is an A+++. And rarely did I step back and look at each plate and ask “what’s the impact if I did it ALL? Is this too much? “Is there another way?”
If I had maybe I’d have seen how ridiculously high my standards were and maybe found a new set of standards that were far more achievable. If I had maybe the result would have been:
- To learn when good enough really is good enough.
- I’d appreciate out what I loved, being loved and serving others well.
- I’d have found a smile in my heart and embraced the knowledge that I am already an A sooner.
- I’d have found the peace sooner.
- I’d have learned to breathe deeply and hear my own voice instead of the voices of the crowd defining my success for me.
- And I’d have enjoyed my good life sooner.
May you take the time to look at all your plates and embrace a new standard of success. And if you want a bit of company on your journey… Contact Us.